We got a lot of good feedback from the Bike Summit this past Friday, we got a great idea of what needs to be done and where to start. Winter for BUG doesn’t mean settling down, it’s our time to really rev up our creative thinking and problem solving, so here’s what we’re thinking:
- We’ve got a new bike shop. We intend for this space to be a place of education–dedicated to sharing information regarding bicycle advocacy and repair. More than anything, this space will be used as a repair shop for our fleet of bikeshare bikes. Currently, we are working on coming up with an agreement on how we will operate and to what extent students will be able to use the shop openly. Our intention is not to be a place where students can get their own bikes fixed for free, but rather educate students about bike mechanic skills to empower them to fix their bikes and in exchange give back to the shop is ways not yet defined.
- With the advent of our new shop space, we will need experienced bike mechanics to be there to oversee. We are currently looking into getting work-study positions, if you are interested, and have some bike mechanic skills, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- By popular demand, we have decided to put in two more bike fix-it stations that you may have seen hanging out outside the Davis Center. Give your input at our facebook poll, https://www.facebook.com/UVMBUG?ref=hl.
- We know, we know. Don’t have to tell us, the bikeshare program is not user friendly, the current bicycles are cumbersome and awkward and many times students can’t check out a bike because the front desk staff at our hubs can’t figure out those insanely tech-y machines we currently have in use. Don’t worry–we’re currently exploring other avenues for the check-out systems as well as trying to expand the current options for the types of bicycles we can offer. It’s not an easy task and may take awhile, but we assure you, we’re working on it.
- This Spring! After the success of our Bike Auction last year at Maglianero, we’re currently starting planning our 2nd Annual Bike Auction! We’ll let you know when that will be, save your pennies!