Flapping those BUGs wings and getting all our BUGs in a row:
So there’s a lot going on internally with the Bike Users Group, we’re constantly talking about how to make the bikeshare better, the shop more accessible and how to offer a better program to UVM. Main points we want to expand on in the future:
- New bikes for the fleet: A lot of planning, picking, choosing, rejecting and searching went into selecting a uniform bicycle that would appeal to the incredibly diverse members of the UVM community. Since BUG is a completely volunteer run student group, we aimed to get a bicycle that would require minimum repair without too many finicky components, hence the single-speed, pedal-back brake bikes. These Worskman Cycles bikes were chosen because they are designed in a way to get as many different shapes, sizes and ability on the same bicycle. We’ve gotten lots of feedback, and are well aware that the current BUG bikeshare bikes don’t necessarily appeal to every user and every landscape. SO, we are currently in the midst of rehabbing ten bicycles of all different sizes, styles, makes and models in order to expand the fleet as well as offer more options for bikeshare users. If you’re interested in helping the bike fleet facelift, come in during our shop hours! M-F 11-2.
- Looking into getting work study and internships for students working with BUG: Just a thought, could possibly (and hopefully) be happening in the future.
- More Hubs: We’re definitely still working on managing the three existing hubs on campus, but man, wouldn’t it be great if we had more hubs around campus? Maybe some on Athletic Campus? What about at Waterman for all those students living downtown? Give us your thoughts! (This is a far-down-the-line goal.)
- Ease of bikeshare directions and rules: We know you signed the bikeshare waiver, we know you don’t always remember things that you should, it’s life. We’re in the works to make signs that will make the rules and instructions about the bikeshare more easily accessible, it will help us all, we know.
- Directions to Shop: We also know that the bike shop is not in the most visible place. We’re working on signage, we promise. Ask the Davis Center front desk and they’re more than happy to help you find it. Badabing, badaboom.
How to get involved with BUG:
- CALLING ALL BIKE MECHANICS! Have bike repair experience? Want bike repair experience? Volunteer at the HIVE.
- Tabling @ events: We always need help!
- Come to meeting! 7:30pm, Wednesdays in front of Brennan’s. We always have the logo flag in view for easy recognition.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give us on any feedback, whether on this website, our facebook page, or at meetings. We are BUG for you, we strive to be the best reference for anything and everything “bicycle” on, and off campus.